Type to search

Is Dr Martens Leaving Malaysia?


Is Dr Martens Leaving Malaysia?

Dr Martens

The Dr Martens store in Pavilion KL just informed us.

Mention the name Dr Martens and almost immediately it is known by most. This footwear brand has given many Malaysians years of walking comfort and we even know of some Malaysians stretching their Dr Martens use for over two decades.

A recent visit to the Dr Marten’s store in Pavilion Bukit Bintang shopping mall had us surprised when the store manager shared a good discount promotion which had just started.

Dr MartensWe asked why, since there was no festive season which is when offers appear to spur sales. The store manager shared news that the Malaysian distributor was closing all stores in the country due to slow sales and higher costs from currency exchange.

So, they needed to clear existing stock and this is why there was a generous discount to take home a pair. We decided to take home two pairs for family members.

Dr MartensOver the years the brand has improved in its design and with their cushioned “AirWair” soles Doc Martens are good for your feet. They are comfortable and supportive when walking long distances.

After the initial break in period (4 to 6 weeks) they are good for the comfort of your feet as the smooth leather moulds to the shape of your feet.

Dr MartensA new pair of Dr Martens needs ‘breaking in’ and this is where some buyers reject the shoes as they want immediate comfort.

Made from real leather, primarily bovine leather, Doc Martens also offers vegan leather for select customers who want the style but are against animal skin.

Once upon a time 100 percent of Dr Martens were made in England, however today just 2 percent of the total shoes sold globally come from England and the remaining 98 percent is made in Asia.

Dr MartensThe shift to China in 2004 for production did bring some anger and distrust to the ‘Made In England’ label, plus it pushed for the closure of English factories in Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Somerset.

Today, Dr Martens is riddled with online complaints about quality and workmanship as prices rise and with more than 11 million pairs of shoes produced and sold, the company claims only a 0.5 percent defect rate.

That rate is still high when you consider the selling prices in Malaysia start from RM300 plus to more than RM1,000!

Dr MartensToday, Dr Martens is no longer owned by the Griggs family and instead it is part of the Permira which is a 30-billion-pound sterling group with their headquarters in Pall Mall London. The reduced quality could be Permira’s doing as profit overtakes pride and quality in a brand that has been long admired.

Dr Martens


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *